It has been a while since I posted up a recipe for you all.
Since posting the video above , this Shepherd’s pie has been highly requested so here it is:
(I know the video doesn’t match the recipe down below but I forgot to bring the recipe with me, so I tried to quickly write it down by memory haha but trust me this one here is more flavourful and better haha)
If you decide to make it let me know how it turned out 🙂
(also if you are a total beginner at cooking, I have done my best to make the instructions as detailed as possible, but just know this might take you a little longer than an hour and 10minutes to make.)
VEGAN LENTIL SHEPHERD’S PIE
( you will need a large casserole dish, measuring cups, foil and pots for this recipe)
- 0.75LB White potatoes ( I use Maris pipers)
- 0.75LB Sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (plant milk)
- Pinches of Sea Salt (optional)
- Pinches of Thyme (optional)
- 3/4 cup Lentils. (can mix red/ green)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Carrots
- 1/2 chopped Red Onion
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped Spinach
- 2 cup sliced Mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 2 tbsp Whole flour
- 1-2 cups Veggie broth
- 1/2 cup Sweetcorn
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 1 tsp All purpose seasoning ( add more of less depending on what you like)
- 1 tsp Sea salt ( add more of less depending on what you like)
Start with boiling all your potatoes in a Large pot, to do this slice all potatoes in half and place in pot, fill with cold water up till it is just covering the potatoes. Cook on high heat until starts to bubble and boil, turn down to a medium/ low heat and boil until soft (roughly for 15 -20 minutes).
- Place Lentils in a pot with 2 1/2 cups of water and boil for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat over to Gas mark 5 (375F)
- While everything is boiling take this time to chop up your vegetables if you haven’t already. Then get another large pot and heat the Coconut oil up on a medium heat, add the carrots, onion, garlic, spinach, mushrooms, all purpose seasoning, sea salt and thyme and simmer till vegetables are soft.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of flour onto your vegetables and mix, cook this for about a minute and add the second spoon, mix and cook for another minute.
- Slowly mix in your Veggie broth to this to make a slightly gravy consistency. When your gravy is made add peas, sweetcorn and cooked lentils. Simmer this for another 5 minutes. (make sure the mixture is not dry, add a little more water if so)
- Grab your casserole dish and pour in the Veggie gravy mixture.
- Grab your large pot of boiled potatoes and pour out excess water. Add Unsweetened Almond milk and mash together.
- Once mash is free of lumps (unless you like your mash lumpy..) spread evenly onto your Veggie gravy mixture in the casserole dish. Cover with foil and place into the middle shelf of your oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Once 25 minutes is up, safely remove foil and place casserole dish back in oven on the top shelf for 5-8minutes.(until mash has slightly browned)
- Now your food is ready sprinkle on top salt and Thyme (optional) and serve.
You can store this for up to around 3 days and reheat with a little water, so it doesn’t dry out.